[Mailman-Users] Migrating lists from old system

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 24 05:58:24 CEST 2005

Dwight Tovey wrote:

>I have some lists running on a system with Mailman 2.0.13.  I have
>installed Mailman 2.1.6 on a new system and I would like to move the
>existing lists to the new system.  This will be a replacement system, so
>the domain names will remain the same.
>
>I used config_list on the old system to dump the configuration to a file,
>and to import the configuration on the new system.  I moved the archive
>messages over, and it looks like I can access them OK.  list_members and
>add_members let me move the subscribers to the new system.
>
>The only thing I think is left is individual subscriber configuration
>options.  However, I don't see anything obvious for moving that over.  Any
>hints?

The preferred method is to move the lists/listname/* files over, rather
than moving the list configuration and membership as you did.

I think you can still move the new lists/listname/config.pck and
config.pck.last files aside (don't delete them yet in case something
goes wrong), and move in the old lists/listname/config.db files. If
this works OK, you will have the list config and membership and member
options from the old lists. If not, you can move the config.pck files
back. There is really no other convenient way to move member options.

Note: You cannot leave the new config.pck files in the lists/listname/
directory or the old config.db files you move in will be ignored.