[Mailman-Users] Host not found

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Oct 25 19:29:34 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 15:17 +0200, Daniel Cuschieri wrote:
> Woops my bad!  I quoted the incorrect error message!
> The error msg I am getting is this one:
> <mylist at mydomain.org>
>
>     (reason: 550 <mylist at mydomain.org>: Recipient address rejected: User
> unknown in virtual alias table)
>

>    ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to
> mail.mydomain.org.:

> <<< 550 <mylist at mydomain.org>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
> virtual alias table 550 5.1.1 <mylist at mydomain.org>... User unknown <<< 554
> Error: no valid recipients

This is a postfix MTA error, as such it is not a mailman error, as such
you should direct your research towards postfix (www.postfix.org) not
mailman. However, that being said I'll try to explain what is going on
and I hope that will point you in the right direction.

At the core of the problem is that postfix does not know about your
mailman aliases. There is documentation in the mailman installation
guide on configuring mailman and postfix
(http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html), start by reading
that. Next postfix has an option to reject mail for local users which
are not known to postfix, that is what is getting triggered here, so
read this postfix documentation
(http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html). Finally, it
appears you have virtual addressing enabled for postfix, I'm not sure
why you need this, its seems like an unnecessary complication for your
set up. The mailman postfix integration guide how to configure this, but
like I said, I don't see why you need this, or at least you haven't
indicated why you need to map a non-existant domain. The postfix site
has good documentation on virtual domains
(http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html), reading that might shed
some light.

HTH,
--