[Mailman-Users] Attach Pics

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 26 03:03:59 CEST 2005

David wrote:

>I want to allow pics but nothing else.  No html emails, exes, zips etc
>I got the list to block everthing but I am not seeing how to allow just
>pics to go thru.

In content filtering, one way to to this is

filter_content -> yes

filter_mime_types -> empty

pass_mime_types -> multipart/mixed

This allows only text/plain parts and image parts from multipart/mixed
messages and parts, multipart/alternative messages and parts and
attached message parts.

If you also want to allow PGP signed messages, add

to the above pass_mime_types list.

If you want to restrict image types to say GIF, JPEG and PNG only,
remove image from the list and add

Of course, some evil doer can always send a zip or exe to your list
with MIME type image/jpeg. In Mailman 2.1.6, you can protect against
this to some extent with header_filter_rules (in Privacy
options...->Spam filters as described in the FAQ at
This doesn't work in 2.1.5 and earlier because they don't search
sub-part headers for header_filter_rules.