[Mailman-Users] mailman without hosting mail server

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 27 17:01:20 CEST 2005

Darich Runyan/OMNI INFOSEC HQ wrote:

>New to the list and mailman so please go easy.  ;^)  I did check the
>archives as well as did some extensive searching online and was
>unable to find an answer to my question.  My company's email is
>hosted by an email provider.  This has not been a bad arrangement;
>however, now we would like to provide some email lists.  Is it
>possible to host mailman and lists without hosting our own mail?  If
>it is possible would any of you please point me to some documentation
>or possibly point me in the right direction?

Yes, but it's not too easy. Using an external outgoing mail server is
easily configured in Mailman and may work, but there may problems with
the server not wanting to 'relay' your outgoing mail, at least without
authorization. If this is the case, there is a simple patch for
username/password authorization.

Using an external server for incoming list mail is more complicated and
usually requires something like fetchmail to get the mail from the
server and something like procmail or maybe Mailman's 'maildir'
feature to get the mail to Mailman.

See
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-October/047082.html
for a little more detail and the above mentioned patch.

Also search this list's archives for things like 'external mail server'
and 'fetchmail'.