[Mailman-Users] Can this be done with Mailman?

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Mon Apr 24 21:28:43 CEST 2006

* On 24/04/06 12:23 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
| Odhiambo Washington wrote:
| >
| >Today, my boss, in one of his crazy thoughts, asked me if it's possible
| >(with Mailman or other MLM) to have a mailing list that would have the
| >following restrictions:
| >
| >1. The list will be archived
| >2. The list admin can search all archives
| >3. A list member is only allowed to search through the archives, but
| >   can only view what s/he posted, not what other members posted!
|

| You definitely can't do this with the existing Mailman pipermail
| archives. It probably is possible to modify Mailman/Cgi/private.py to
| restrict viewing such that if the user has authorized as a member
| rather than as an admin, the user can only retrieve pages for which
| she/he is the author. I don't know of any attempts to do this with
| pipermail or any external archiver.

Fine, so it's doable, only if he commissions the work and funds it, yes?
;-)

| You didn't ask for criticism of the idea itself so I won't offer any.

Since I did not even imagine the possibility.

I'd be happy, however, to hear you "critique" the idea. Thanks.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington            		. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com			. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223			. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121			. (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |