[Mailman-Users] mail.log has stopped logging

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Aug 29 17:16:38 CEST 2006

At 3:47 PM +0200 2006-08-29, Ralf Hildebrandt quoted
<jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu>:

>>  I can't figure out why my mail.log file has stopped logging.  My other
>>  logs continue to grow.  Any direction on how I can  begin to
>>  troubleshoot this?
>
>  * make sure syslogd is running
>  * Which MTA are you using?

There's one other factor -- check to make sure that you haven't hit
the maximum file size limitations of your operating system.

For example, many OSes can't handle files larger than 2GB, and if
you're running a busy mail server or you haven't rotated the log file
in a long time, it might be easy to exceed this limit.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.