[Mailman-Users] query re "message has implicit destination"(devils advocate!)

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Aug 31 19:44:24 CEST 2006

Bretton Vine sent the message below at 10:08 8/31/2006:
>John W. Baxter said the following on 2006/08/31 06:58 PM:
> > And, unfortunately, were I preparing a list of options for a "You really
> > ought to look at these options and check that they are set appropriately"
> > paragraph, I probably wouldn't include this one.  There are so many which
> > are more important for such a thing.
>
>Perhaps a list of "you /really/ should set these settings to X" would be
>useful to people short on time :-) Of course you could just bundle the
>product that way in the first place but where's the fun in that?

That is what the Defaults.py file is for.

The defaults as shipped were chosen by the developers. We should
assume that they were chosen for good, logical reasons that apply to
the majority of installations.

But if you don't like the defaults or have a reason to choose a
different setting, you can change them at your own risk either
through configuring each list or by overriding the setting in mm_cfg.py

Open source projects are never going to have documentation to the
standard you want. Unless you or somebody else is willing to take on
that large project, continuing to harp on the subject is only going
to serve to annoy people.

The fact that this software is made available to the community free
of charge is a gift to the community. The fact that people like Brad
and Mark and others are willing to expend large amounts of their time
responding to queries here should be taken as what it is, another
gift to the community. I think they have gone above and beyond the
call of duty in this discussion and I am amazed at the restraint they
have shown.

Dragon