[Mailman-Users] Virtual Servers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Feb 6 23:10:54 CET 2006

Jon Loose wrote:

>However, I now find that sending a message to the list
>on domain2 leads to copies being sent out to a local
>user, but not to any users outside my network.  This
>looks like an MTA issue, and so I'm sure I should have
>fixed things slightly differently in postfix.  Further
>comments below:

This sounds like Postfix thinks that domain2 is not local and it is
refusing to relay from domain2 to the outside.

>> I'm not really familiar with Postfix, but see
>>
><http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html>
>and the
>> other material in that section of the manual.
>
>The trouble is, this is the documentation I don't
>understand!  Can anyone help?  Specifically, having
>set up domain2 as a virtual domain in postfix, what do
>I need to do to allow mailman to use this?  I suspect
>the /etc/postfix/virtual will need editing (do aliases
>need moving from /etc/aliases for this?) but am not
>sure.

This has to do primarily with setting up Postfix so that incoming mail
to the various list and list-* addresses at domain1 and domain2 are
all properly delivered to Mailman.

I don't think anything special needs to be done to accommodate outgoing
mail from Mailman as long as both domain1 and domain2 can send mail at
all.

>> MTA = Postfix
<snip>

>Got it... FYI, the "MTA=Postfix" threw up an error,
>but all went well without this line.

My fault. It needs to be

MTA = 'Postfix'

So that bin/genaliases and list creation and deletion can automatically
update the Mailman aliases and virtual maps files for Postfix.

Mailman creates/updates the data/aliases and data/virtual-mailman files
and the postalias and postmap commands update the corresponding .db
files.

The aliases and virtual-mailman files are referenced in the Postfix
configuration in alias_maps and virtual_alias_maps as shown in the
manual.