[Mailman-Users] why is plain text option (removes MIME/HTML) onlyavailable for digest?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Feb 9 02:40:11 CET 2006

Tom Grundy wrote:

>Hello - we would like to be able to specify plain vs MIME (on a user-by-user
>basis) for regular non-digest delivery.  'option plain' only lets you set
>the user-by-user option when digests are on.

The plain vs MIME digest setting controls whether the digest is sent as
one flattened message body containing all the posts vs as a
multipart/mixed message containing text/plain subparts for the boiler
plate and table of contents and a multipart/digest subpart containing
the individual posts as subparts. Different MUAs do better with one
form or the other, so users are offered a choice.

In the case of individual messages, they are sent as is (after content
filtering if any is applied). Just what would you envision a plain vs
MIME choice actually doing?

If you mean you want to be able to apply per user content filtering
rules, that just isn't feasable within the current Mailman design.