[Mailman-Users] Virtual Servers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Feb 11 20:51:09 CET 2006

Jon Loose wrote:

>alias_database=hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
>hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
>(NB I am assuming that I do not also update
>alias_maps)

Actually, I think you want hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases in
alias_maps and NOT in alias_database. See
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>

>I think I have the mm_cfg.py right, too, with:
>
>MTA='Postfix'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS=['domain2']
>add_virtualhost('www.domain2.org','domain2.org')

These look good.

>Two final points:
>1 - Before I tried setting up virtual domains, the
>system worked fine on a single domain, without any
>"unknown user" errors.

See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html>,
particularly the second paragraph.

>2 - Given the above, aliases for the special "mailman"
>list are contained in both /etc/postfix/aliases and
>/usr/local/mailman/aliases.  This doesn't seem to make
>any difference, though I am unsure.

This will cause problems eventually if the ownership of the two
aliases.db files is different. See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-February/049158.html>