[Mailman-Users] Mailman or postfix problem?

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Wed Jan 4 18:39:17 CET 2006

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Thomas Waters wrote:
> <rxtesttuesday at pharmacy.pitt.edu>: Command died with status 2:
>      "/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post rxtesttuesday". Command
> output: Group
>      mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
> executed as
>      group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
> script as
>      group "tcwaters".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
> script as group
>      "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>      `--with-mail-gid=tcwaters'.
>

> I ask if this is mailman or postfix because I was trying to move the
> mail lists to a new server, so I have "handled" the mailman files,
> but never touched the Postfix files.  Is this a file permissions issue?

Yes :-).  Since groups are specified with a name which is them mapped to
a number, is that number the same?  I've seen new versions of an OS come
with different /etc/group files.  I assume that tcwaters is not the group
that you expected to be there.  (See the FAQ also, you'll probably need to
either change the group tcwaters to be called mailman and reset all the
file groups or rebuild mailman on that new system.)

z!