[Mailman-Users] Getting my mailing list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 4 19:06:24 CET 2006

William F. Hill, Jr. wrote:

>I have asked this question in the past and still cannot find a simple,
>layman's way of getting my membership list downloaded.   Some of you have
>been very kind and told me some ways using "cron jobs" and stuff like that
>but to be honest that is over my head unless you tell me point by point the
>exact things to do.  My goal is to get my list downloaded and then create a
>NEW list on another server but I do not want to manually type all the email
>addresses again (though there are only 62 addresses).

Your posts in December lead me to assume that your Mailman installation
is hosted by a provider and you only have access to it via email and
the web. If this is the case, here are your choices:

- Use the email 'who' command. Send blank email with subject 'help'
(without the quotes) to the listname-request at example.com address for
more info.

- Visit the roster via the listinfo page or directly at something like
<http://www.example.com/mailman/roster/listname> and copy/paste/edit
the result.

The above two methods have the drawback that 'hidden' members (those
who have opted to be excluded from those lists) are not shown.

- Visit the admin Membership Management...->Membership List pages one
by one and copy/paste/edit the results.

- Script the above process to automate it. See
<http://starship.python.net/crew/jwt/mailman/#throughtheweb> for an
example.

>Also, why doesn't mailman have this feature built in?  It seems that this
>would be a normal thing to want to do from time to time for backup purposes.

It does, but it is only available through the command-line tool
bin/list_members to which you apparently don't have access. Such a
feature may be added to the web and/or email interface in the future
as there appears to be a need for it.