[Mailman-Users] Mail not reaching everyone on mailing list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jan 7 20:13:47 CET 2006

Heather Madrone wrote:

>At 7:39 AM -0500 1/7/06, Ira Rosenblum wrote:
>>Last week I wrote that none of the mail (using Mailman 2.1.6) being
>>sent to my list was reaching the list members, but I have since
>>discovered that about 25% of the members (that's a rough estimate)
>>are receiving mail, while the rest are not.
>
>Did you strip off the human-readable part of the addresses before you
>put them in the bulk subscription box?  My hunch would be that you
>still have something more than a bare email address there, and
>some mail servers are snuffy about the format of the address.  Gmail
>is one such.

In a prior post, you indicated mail was bouncing and incrementing
member's bounce scores.

If Heather's suggestion doesn't solve the problem, do the following.

Be sure you have bounce_notify_owner_on_disable set to yes. Also
consider setting bounce_score_threshold to a fairly low value (e.g. 2)
so the bouncing members will be disabled soon. Then, as members are
disabled, notifications with the actual bounce notice attached will be
sent to the list owner. This should enable you to figure out why the
addresses are not deliverable.