[Mailman-Users] Throttling output

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Jun 13 17:39:56 CEST 2006

Bernd,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernd Petrovitsch" <bernd at firmix.at>
To: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Throttling output

> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 09:06 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
> [...]
>> Does anyone have a suggestion for throttling?
>
> Just store the 22.000 outgoing mails in the mail queue (every decent MTA
> should be able to do that unconditionally) and wait for the next queue
> run?

This originally sounded like a "too-simple-to-work" idea, but after thinking
about it, it may be the best. If you mean QueueGroups with a separate runner
for this particular list, then the milter would handle the throttle of the
runner and relieve Mailman of the outgoing problems. It would really give me
a little more control because of the sleep time of the queue runner along
with the milter throttle. This will be a multiple-list server and only one
or two lists would require the slowdown/pacing.

Sounds great. In fact, this is sort of what the Milter people suggested
without the milter, although I didn't see where the throttling would occur.

Thanks

Steve