[Mailman-Users] Throttling output

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Jun 13 22:09:24 CEST 2006

David,

Thanks for the reply.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Stern" <dave at umiacs.umd.edu>
To: "Steve Campbell" <campbell at cnpapers.com>
Cc: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Throttling output

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Steve Campbell wrote:
>
>> Bernd,

I am seeing how the MAX_QUEUE_RUN_SIZE thing might work and replace the
milter. There sure is a lot of sendmail configuration things to discover.

If you don't mind, can you explain some things for me, based on how you did
this, please? I've been trying to read the Sendmail docs (I really need the
Cookbook I think), and based on what I see:

1 - I could define the queue groups based on sender address, queueonly
style, but then all of the queues are queueonly, as this is a 'global'
option? The Delivery Mode is for all queues, defined once? Not a problem,
though, as the differing queuerunners would handle the smaller lists just
fine.
2 - The queuerunners are defined with a specific time interval somewhere in
the sendmail config file, and Sendmail will run these without startup queue
scripts? This one is really hazy for me as there are quite a few differing
topics out there that don't really specify a Sendmail version. It appears
the queues on 8.12 are quite different from 8.13, based on the facilities
that Sendmail provides. I have upgraded one server to 8.13 just to see the
differences.
3 - And finally, the MAX_QUEUE_RUN_SIZE  would only send out whatever it is
set to until the next queue runner runs? The setting defines how many
envelopes are processed until the next queue run and this becomes the
throttle?

Thanks for any help

Steve