[Mailman-Users] problems in posting to a list

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 01:06:01 CEST 2006

On 6/14/06, Harold Goldstein <mdbiker at goldray.com> wrote:
> i am an administrator (but i didn't install it nor do i have access to the
> server) of an announcement only mailing list.
>
> despite having 3 addresses listed as administrator and moderator, we have
> only been able to use one address to post. that was ok till last week when
> we were subject to a spoofing attack appearing to come from that address.

The 'administrator' and 'moderator' addresses aren't considered when
determining if a message is to be allowed.

Any addresses you'd like to accept mail from, add to
'accept_these_nonmembers' under 'Sender filters' under 'Privacy
Options' in the web interface.

ALTERNATIVELY, include as the first line of your message: 'Approved:
<list admin password>' (this is better, since it's totally proof
against spoofing. Man-in-the-middle attacks, however, can
theoretically intercept your mail on the way to the server, and get
the password out of it. FYI.)

--
- Patrick Bogen