[Mailman-Users] new users get welcome e-mails but posts aren'tgoing out

Nathan K. Stazewski nstazew1 at swarthmore.edu
Thu Jun 15 20:47:31 CEST 2006

Thank you to Mark and Dan Phillips for pointing me in the direction of
the proper FAQ section (as I grin sheepishly).  I've looked into those
suggestions but don't think they're my problem.  If I send an e-mail
from my mailman machine (using OS X's Mail program which is using
localhost for smtp), the e-mail is sent to the list and goes out to all
of the list recipients.  If I send out an e-mail from another computer,
the e-mail never seems to reach mailman.  I started wondering if port 25
was open, so I did a test.  I have the old (working) mailman machine
available to me so I plugged that in and scanned its ports between 20
and 30.  Both ports 22 and 25 were open on the machine.  I then plugged
the new machine back in and scanned the same ports...this time finding
only port 22 open.  I found some web pages saying that the issue would
be a commented out line within postfix's master.cf file...

smtp      inet  n   -   n   -   -   smtpd

...but that line is not commented out.  This port definitely seems to be
the issue (as it's the only difference I can find between the two
machines) but I figured I'd see if there was something else I could be
missing.  Basically right now my mailman machine accepts local mail but
nothing else.

Nathan K. Stazewski
Assistant Director
Alumni Relations