[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Qmail - Cannot connect via SMTP

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 16 06:42:18 CEST 2006

Douglas G. Phillips wrote:

>Just a followup on this that I forgot to add: Messages sent to the list are received by qmail and processed by mailman.  They appear in the list archives, but they are not re-sent to the members of the mailing list.

That's consistent. The problem affects outgoing mail only.

>  The only error that I can find is in the mailman error logs (sample here):
>  Jun 15 19:51:55 2006 (13082) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost on port smtp

Mailman's OutgoingRunner is reporting that it called
SMTPDirect.process() to send the message and the SMTP connect called
in that module raised a socket.error exception.

This is not quite the situation described at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.014.htp>,
but the debugging techniques described there and in the referenced
list posts should help.

>  QMail is started via an /etc/init.d script that executes the qmail-start binary.  I can telnet to the SMTP port fine from localhost, and it accepts mail just fine.

Are you telnetting to 'localhost' by name? As the 'mailman' user?