[Mailman-Users] How to start a new list?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Mar 4 18:27:05 CET 2006

Henrik Stromberg wrote:

>Mark, you mean first I need to set up a web page with a subfolder
>mailman/admin?

This is done as part of the installation of Mailman.

>I am absolute beginner to mailman and lists, just participate in two and
>wondered how I could set up one myself. I wonder why this cannot be easily
>found out at the web page.

It can. You need to decide whether you are talking about creating your
own Mailman installation on your own server, or just creating a list
on some existing Mailman installation of some service provider.

In the former case, you need to download the software from
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailman/> and read the installation
manual at <http://list.org/mailman-install/index.html> (both of these
links can be found at <http://www.list.org/> or the mirror at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/>). Or, you may be able to
install an rpm or other package from your OS vendor.

In the latter case, you need to identify and contact a provider who
will host your list for you.