[Mailman-Users] mailman (+vexim +exim) -- web interface uses absolute urls... to elsewhere

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue May 9 09:39:27 CEST 2006

On 9 May 2006, at 04:16, will trillich wrote:

> On 5/8/06, Patrick Bogen <pdbogen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/7/06, will trillich <will at serensoft.com> wrote:
>>> any ideas?
>>
>> Check your setting in DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN. See FAQ 4.29:
>>
>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp
>
> thanks for the pointer. turns out, ours is set exactly right. it's
> perfectly fine.
>
> even so, check out Mailman/MailList.py, inside InitVars (and
> mentioned in
> /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py):
>
>         self.web_page_url = (
>             mm_cfg.DEFAULT_URL or
>             mm_cfg.DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN % mm_cfg.DEFAULT_URL_HOST)

This is a red herring because the value assigned in InitVars is only
transient while the object is being created. Shortly after this
assignment it is replaced with the stored value recovered from the
list's config-stored-on-disk for an existing lists or by assignment
when a new list is being created, per the comment "Assign default
values - some will be overriden by stored state" at the head of
InitVars.

> since DEFAULT_URL_HOST didn't appear to be used in the final analysis,
> we tried DEFAULT_URL instead (with the short-circuit approach, it
> would override). alas, no luck.
>
> all links from <site>/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/<list> are absolute links,
> pointing to
> another virtual host we've got on this server. there's GOT to be a way
> to make them
> relative -- we don't want to submit POST forms via insecure http (to
> the wrong site)
> from our secure https page!

Looking back at your original posting, you were setting
DEFAULT_HOST_NAME and DEFAULT_URL both of which are obsolete, only
honoured for legacy/update installations, and should have the value
None (the default in Defaults.py). Stop fooling with them, it is only
confusing the issue.

btw: If your are trying to have a mix of http URLs for non-admin GUI
and and https for admin GUI then you are wasting your time, it is all
or nothing, one or the other. Same rule applies regarding which host
is used for a list admin or no-admin web GUI, same one for all.

If you want https for everything then follow the link from:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp

to:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.027.htp

> e.g. site for mail is 'mail.myexample.not'. that's where the MX
> points for smtp,
> and that's where webmail will be hosted for user pick-up (or imaps
> or pop3s).
> to administer this puppy, we've got 'emailadmin.myexample.not'
> which has vexim
> and mailman running on it. but ALL links on the admin pages --
> including form
> actions -- hop from 'https://emailadmin.myexample.not' to
> 'http://mail.myexample.not'.
> it's maddening!

If you diligently follow _all_ the instructions in the FAQ entries,
including the comments regarding virtual hosts, the VIRTUAL_HOSTS
Python dictionary, restarting mailmanctl and  judicious use of
fix_url for existing lists you will get a consistent set of
appropriate URLs produced on the MM web GUI. You also need to read
the bin/newlist usage to understand the way that you can assign new
lists to web and email hosts when creating them which again links to
the understanding and setup of VIRTUAL_HOSTS Python dictionary in
mm_cfg.py. Also, if you find yourself fooling with the list's
host_name attribute through the admin GUI "Host name this list
prefers for email" option then it is probably time to stop and review
you mm_cfg entries etc.