[Mailman-Users] Internet Service Providers and Spam

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue May 9 15:42:11 CEST 2006

On 9 May 2006, at 14:08, Phil usps wrote:

> We are in the middle of a contest with a very large, popular, and
> well-established ISP, who insists on declaring as spam, any message
> sent to
> more than 100 of its customers. Since it is "spam", it is
> automatically
> bounced, and hundreds of our list members not only do not receive the
> message, the Mailman bounce features handle the bounce action as
> instructed.
> This can lead to "disable" or "discard".

This may not work but adjusting the configuration variable
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS in mm_cfg to a lower figure, assuming you have not
already over-ridden the default value of 500 in Defaults.py, might
get you below whatever limit is being set for delivery to a single
mail domain in a  single SMTP transaction, if that is the rule that
is being applied and causing your problem. But this might not work if
they are checking for a common hash value for message bodies across
multiple deliveries. In that case using personalization of messages
under MM 2.1.x might get you over that hurdle but at the expense of a
performance hit for your mail servers, with a significantly larger
volume of SMTP transactions, which might trip another rule ...