[Mailman-Users] Stupid Newby Setup question

Hung Phan phanh at canby.k12.or.us
Wed May 17 19:09:55 CEST 2006

On May 17, 2006, at 2:29 AM, PC At Last wrote:

> Sorry to bug you guys with what is probably such a simple question
> that
> nobody figured it needed to be in the help files...
>
> I'm trying to set up a mailing lists system for sending
> notifications to
> members of a volunteer organisation. There will be no posts from
> members, only from the office. Subscription and Unsubscription will
> only
> ever be done by staff from the mass subscription on the admin page, so
> none of that stuff is required for users.

Turn on the "mod" option for all members.
In Sender Filters, "Yes" to By default, should new list member
postings be moderated?
"Reject" to Action to take for postings from non-members for which no
explicit action is defined.
> Unfortunately, the mail server has a hard coded 500 mails an hour
> speed
> limit, and the list is about 1300 and growing. I have set up three
> separate lists to hold about 450 addresses max (so the office staff
> have
> no excuse to slack off for an hour after sending a mailout), so we
> send
> to list1, an hour or so later to list2, etc.

Remember to set the "ceiling on acceptable number of recipients for a
posting" in Privacy Options - Recipient Filters
> It used to work. Then the server died. Then the backup got
> corrupted by
> the clutz rebuilding the server. Then we had to start from scratch.
> Now
> I have three mailing lists that just won't work - test messages vanish
> into the ether - no bounce, no notification, no delivery, no nothing.

I would check the log file and the qrunner daemon
> I'm at my wits end, and have invested way too much of my life in this.
> Can someone point me to a template, or a simple "point by point"
> how to
> make this simple configuration work. At this point, I'm happy to nuke
> everything and start with default settings again...

It's better to start from the beginning with no hidden problem.
Good Luck!