[Mailman-Users] Question About Case Handling in Non-member Filters

Jon Forrest forrest at ce.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 7 00:06:43 CET 2006

I woke up in the middle of the night last night
worried that my non-member filter regular expression
might not be completely correct.

I have

	^[^@]+@(.*\.)?example\.com$

and what I'm worried about is whether this will
match any permutation of upper and lowercase.
Python regular expressions are case sensitive,
I believe, but the function that does the matching
can be passed an flag that says to not be case
sensitive. I'm not sure where to look in the
Mailman source to find where this function is
called.

The FAQ says in Section 3.51 "Note also that the match
is case insensitive" but I'm still worried about this
since this is the only place I found any mention of
this. The installation and the administration manuals
don't mention it.

So, my question is are filter regular expressions case
sensitive?

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
forrest at ce.berkeley.edu
Computer Resources Manager
Civil and Environmental Engineering Dept.
305 Davis Hall
Univ. of Calif., Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710
510-642-0904