[Mailman-Users] Difficulties with mailman 2.1.5

Alan McConnell alan at patriot.net
Sat Nov 18 14:20:49 CET 2006

First of all, thanks to Stephen and Brad for their illuminating
and informative replies!

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 10:04:43PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Brad Knowles writes:

	. . . . .

> That seems likely, as the current stable version of Debian ("sarge")
> is distributed with 2.1.5.  However it does have patches in it
> according to the Debian revision number (don't ask me what they are,
> but you can go to the Debian FTP site, and get the patch file).
> Debian practice being what it is, I would guess those are mostly
> security related.
	That's what I thought.

Now here is an "ignoramus" question, from one who knoweth not Python:
If mailman is "powered by Python", why is not an upgrade from mailman
2.1.5 to, say, 2.1.9, accomplished by simply grabbin the new python
scripts(hey, they are simply text files, right?) and dropping them
into place?  (of course the data -- the database of list members --
has to be backed up appropriately and restored, perhaps with new
fields added).    Yes, I know this is a dumb question<g>; but I hope
for an intelligent answer, letting me, and the Patriot Support staff,
know exactly what is involved in a real, non-Debian dependent upgrade.

I am a Debian user myself(sarge), on my home system, but I don't really
grok the upgrade/update system.  I agree that Debian does things its
way and mailman does things its way, and it is probably not appropriate
for mailman users to rely on Debian to keep totally abreast of
mailman development.

Again, thanks for the info; I hope that others will weigh in here.
I wish I could do more than just ask questions<sigh>.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    There are many good Impeachment sites; one of the best is: