[Mailman-Users] trying to access archives - access denied

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 19:51:51 CET 2006

On 11/27/06, Rachel Assuncao <rachel at musango.ca> wrote:
> I am the manger for a couple of different lists that are relatively new.  It
> has come to my attention in the last few days that our members are unable to
> access the archives when they click on the archives link
> (http://lists.genuinecontact.info/pipermail/genuinecontact/).  When you
> click on the link, it takes you to a page that says "Forbidden: You don't
> have permission to access /pipermail/genuinecontact/ on this server.
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
> ErrorDocument to handle the request."

This looks like a web server (e.g., apache) configuration, and/or
permissions issue. I think the problem is that the user apache is
running as can't access your /pipermail tree.

Did you install Mailman from source, or did you use a packaged version?

You might want to run through Chapter 5 of the installation manual
<http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node10.html> and
make sure you followed everything properly.

It might be worthwhile to run check_perms, as well, although I'm not
sure if it actually checks these particular permisisons.

--
- Patrick Bogen