[Mailman-Users] VERP with Postfix recipient_delimiter of "-"

Todd A. Jacobs nospam at codegnome.org
Sat Oct 14 05:23:16 CEST 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 02:34:32PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Default Mailman settings use a VERP delimiter of '+', not '-'. It is

Not exactly. By default, Mailman expects that the MTA uses a plus, and
not a minus, but it shouldn't be hard-coded. Qmail, for example,
defaults to using a minus as a delimiter; are you saying VERP can't be
done with qmail, either?

> not practical to use '-' because of conflicts with the listname-*
> addresses (although I don't know much about Postfix so I may not be

This doesn't make any sense. As long as the various lists and
list-extensions are in the alias file, and the VERP address is properly
constructed as an extension of a list address, the mail should get
delivered to Mailman. Something may need to be tweaked, but I can't
believe it's not *possible*.

> What do you mean by this? Do you mean that password reminders and
> subscription invitations/confirmations are not VERPed?

I mean nothing outgoing, including comfirmation messages, are VERPed. As
I understand it, VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL should only be set to 1 if you
want *every* email to be VERPed, not just the confirmations.

> Only if you truly need the VERP delimiter to be other than '+'.

Yes, I truly do.

--
Unabashedly littering the information superhighway with detritus like
this for over 15 years now.