[Mailman-Users] Umbrella List / Moderation

Bruce E. Breeding BEBL.IT at InfoTechAccounting.com
Wed Oct 25 16:59:41 CEST 2006

I'm implementing an umbrella list over three other lists.

When I send mail to the umbrella list, three events occur:
(a)  For each of the three lists, I (as owner) receive a request for approval with the message:  Message has implicit destination
(b)  Duplicate receiving email addresses (on two or all three of the sublists) are not being eliminated.
(c)  I do NOT receive a request for approval from the umbrella list (yes!)

I would like for the approval to be automatic and I'd like for duplicate email addresses to be eliminated.  I've probably missed the obvious, but I've invested several hours in troubleshooting ...

What I've done:
(1)  added the sender's email address to the privacy options / sender filter / non-member (even though the sender is a member and the sender's email moderate check-box is not checked).
(2)  done (1) above for each sublist and the umbrella list, although in the umbrella list, the sender is not a member.
(3)  added the <umbrellalistname>@listdomain.org as a sender not needing approval as in (1) above, but I didn't think I should have to do this, since it's not the original sender.

I've presumed that email addresses are not case sensitive, and routinely enter all addresses in lower case.

Solutions or next troubleshooting step suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you,
Bruce
(newbie to mailman, oldie to information technology, and embarrassed that I can't figure this out on my own)