[Mailman-Users] Obscure addresses problem

Dan Phillips dan at music.memphis.edu
Mon Sep 4 21:06:43 CEST 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 12:50 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> The Mailman method of obscuring addresses has always worked as
> described, in all installations I have ever encountered or heard of.

Remember, what he's trying to do is to get pipermail NOT to obscure
the addresses. This is completely unrelated to how the resulting
files are used or what further processing is done on them.

Here's the setting:

> obscure_addresses (privacy): Show member addresses so they're not
> directly recognizable as email addresses?
> Setting this option causes member email addresses to be transformed
> when they are presented on list web pages (both in text and as
> links), so they're not trivially recognizable as email addresses.
> The intention is to prevent the addresses from being snarfed up by
> automated web scanners for use by spammers.

Just out of curiosity, I tried the same thing. I confirmed that the
list.mbox did indeed contain the complete, whole, unadulterated
addresses, set privacy options-->obscure_addresses to NO, then ran
bin/arch --wipe on a small test list. The newly created year-
month.txt files did still include the standard "xxx at xxx" obscured
email addresses.

Maybe we're just trying the wrong setting; is the obscured address a
pipermail constant? Is there some other setting that controls this?

Dan

Dan Phillips
Associate Professor
Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music