[Mailman-Users] Alternative to Mailman

Tenant tenant at tenant.net
Thu Sep 7 22:19:19 CEST 2006

We've been using Mailman for several years for a number of our lists,
been reasonably happy, and will probably continue to use it.

However, no single package is the right answer for all situations.
Some of our newer domains need packages with capabilities that
Mailman can't provide, so I'm looking for suggestions and comments on
various alternative open source packages (and not trying to troll).

We're looking at PHPlist, DadaMail and other packages. We need to be
able to send up to 100,000 at a shot, announce only, use MySQL and
with html mail (or provide that as an option, which Mailman can't
do), merge/purge lists, searchable archives, personalization and get
around AOL/Hotmail perceived spam bouncing, etc.

In the best of worlds, I'd like to be able to maintain various fields
on list members including name and source so, for example, we could
decide to send an email to all list members from Source A and Source
C, but not Source B, and if there are duplicates on lists A and B, of
course send only one copy.

Maybe that's getting into the realm of campaign software. All of our
list members are opt-in, but they come from various sources, so I'd
like to be able to pick sources for each mailing and essentially
build a list each time from various criteria.

I'd prefer open source (of course) with an active development
community, and we maintain our own server with many virtual domains.
I realize no single package can do all that, but suggestion and
comments are welcome. Thanks.

John Fisher
TenantNet

The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
   TenantNet(tm):          http://tenant.net
   email:                  tenant at tenant.net
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.