[Mailman-Users] MM lists on Gmane

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Sun Sep 17 05:25:45 CEST 2006

On 9/16/06 8:25 PM, Jason R. Mastaler at jason at mastaler.com wrote:

> I understand what you're saying, but seriously, who cares if the mailman
> lists were added without anyone's approval?  Gmane is a valuable and
> useful service and does no damage to anyone.  You could think of it as
> someone doing the project a favor rather than something that needs
> "forgiveness."  The fact that you have philosophical objections to Gmane
> shouldn't affect whether the Mailman lists are carried there.  That's
> unfair to everyone else.

As valuable as you think Gmane is and how thousands of people can benefit, I
can only say "what the heck is Gmane". I've never heard of it other than the
last time this discussion came up (and I've heard of most widespread things
on the Internet) so I think you're way overestimating how many people would
benefit. Granted, I'm a sample of one but having now checked out what is it,
it just makes think "what's the big deal?" Certainly not something I see
adding a lot of value. If I'm reading it right, Gmane does mail to Usenet
gateway. How does that add value considering mailman already has mail to
Usenet gatewaying built into it.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com