[Mailman-Users] content filtering problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Apr 10 02:24:13 CEST 2007

Rick Pasotto wrote:

>Today I received a message that had been rejected by the content
>filtering system and I'm not sure why. The sections of the message were:
>
> I  1 <no description>                 [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.2K]
> I  2 Toastmaster Meeting for Tmrw            [message/rfc822, 7bit, 26K]
> I  3   ><no description>                    [multipa/related, 7bit, 24K]
> I  4     ><no description>              [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 3.7K]
> I  5       ><no description>        [text/plain, quoted, us-ascii, 0.5K]
> I  6       ><no description>         [text/html, quoted, us-ascii, 2.9K]
> I  7     >NewCiscoLogo.jpg                     [image/jpeg, base64, 20K]
>
>In the pass_mime_types I have:
>
>multipart/mixed
>multipart/alternative
>text/plain
>
>Was the message rejected because the text/plain was quoted?

No.

You have two problems.

What is the overall message type in the main message headers? I suspect
it was not multipart/mixed or multipart/alternative; possibly
multipart/related or some such which would cause all of its sub-parts
to be skipped because multipart/whatever is not accepted.

Further, even if the main message is multipart/mixed, you don't accept
the message/rfc822 part so the only thing left would be the initial
0.2K text/plain part.

You need to accept every multipart/ type that could possibly contain a
sub-part of interest. A better choice for pass_mime_types is

multipart
message/rfc822
text/plain

In your example above, this would pass all the multipart types
regardless of sub-type as well as the message/rfc822 part. This
doesn't mean the entire message will be passed. It just means that the
various sub-parts of those parts will be examined and the text/plain
parts accepted.

Even though the above seems very liberal, it ultimately only accepts
text/plain and elemental message/rfc822 parts, in this case only the
two text/plain parts.