[Mailman-Users] content filtering problem

Rick Pasotto rick at niof.net
Tue Apr 10 04:11:05 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 05:24:13PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Rick Pasotto wrote:
>
> >Today I received a message that had been rejected by the content
> >filtering system and I'm not sure why. The sections of the message were:
> >
> > I  1 <no description>                 [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.2K]
> > I  2 Toastmaster Meeting for Tmrw            [message/rfc822, 7bit, 26K]
> > I  3   ><no description>                    [multipa/related, 7bit, 24K]
> > I  4     ><no description>              [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 3.7K]
> > I  5       ><no description>        [text/plain, quoted, us-ascii, 0.5K]
> > I  6       ><no description>         [text/html, quoted, us-ascii, 2.9K]
> > I  7     >NewCiscoLogo.jpg                     [image/jpeg, base64, 20K]
> >
> >In the pass_mime_types I have:
> >
> >multipart/mixed
> >multipart/alternative
> >text/plain
> >
> >Was the message rejected because the text/plain was quoted?
>
> No.
>
> You have two problems.
>
> What is the overall message type in the main message headers? I suspect
> it was not multipart/mixed or multipart/alternative; possibly
> multipart/related or some such which would cause all of its sub-parts
> to be skipped because multipart/whatever is not accepted.

I can see that I was insufficiently clear. What I posted above is the
sections of the reject message that Mailman sent me. The
'message/rfc822' appears to be Mailman's encapsulation of the original
message. From your explanation I see that the problem was that the
original message was 'multipart/related'.

> Further, even if the main message is multipart/mixed, you don't accept
> the message/rfc822 part so the only thing left would be the initial
> 0.2K text/plain part.
>
> You need to accept every multipart/ type that could possibly contain a
> sub-part of interest. A better choice for pass_mime_types is
>
> multipart
> message/rfc822
> text/plain
>
> In your example above, this would pass all the multipart types
> regardless of sub-type as well as the message/rfc822 part. This
> doesn't mean the entire message will be passed. It just means that the
> various sub-parts of those parts will be examined and the text/plain
> parts accepted.
>
> Even though the above seems very liberal, it ultimately only accepts
> text/plain and elemental message/rfc822 parts, in this case only the
> two text/plain parts.

Excellent. This is what I want. Thanks.

--
"Only one thing can conquer war - that attitude of mind which can see
 nothing in war but destruction and annihilation" -- Ludwig von Mises