[Mailman-Users] message archiving problem

Rick Pasotto rick at niof.net
Mon Apr 16 03:35:04 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 04:20:52PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Rick Pasotto wrote:
>
> >I have a couple of lists that I send a weekly message to. This message
> >has sections that I separate using a line of 60 hyphens. When the
> >message gets archived the sections are archived separately but only
> >the first has the correct subject line and the others show 'No Subject'.
> >
> >Why is this happening?
>

> What archiver is this?

It must be the default as I certainly haven't changed anything.

If I were using some external archiver why would I ask about it on this
list?

> I don't think pipermail would separate one
> message into several apparent messages on boundaries of 60 hyphens.

Just reporting the facts.

> Apparently what happens is the archiver you are using (which is ?) is
> splitting the message into separate messages on the hyphen line
> boundaries, and since the subsequent parts have no subject header,
> they get archived without a subject. I don't think Mailman/pipermail
> is doing this separation. A single post should be archived as one
> message unless it containes lines beginning with "From " (*nix mbox
> separators), but I think the current archiver escapes extraneous "From
> " lines, so even these won't cause a single message to be separated in
> the archive.

What should happen and what *does* happen evidently are not the same.

--
"In 1792, there was [enacted] a death penalty for counterfeiting.
 I think it should be applied to the Federal Reserve." -- Ron Paul