[Mailman-Users] Mailman gid problem

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Fri Apr 20 18:17:29 CEST 2007

On Apr 20, 2007, at 10:41 AM, David Southwell wrote:

> ___________________________________
> Extract from /var/maillog
> Apr 20 08:24:58 dns1 Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.
> Mailman
> expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "nobody",
> but the
> system's mail server executed the mail script as group "mailman".  Try
> tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "nobody", or re-
> run
> configure,  providing the command line option `--with-mail-
> gid=mailman'.

This is the third and final time I'll ask you give a long directory
listing of your mailman/data directory.  (Twice here and once on the
FreeBSD list).

That information is needed to diagnose and fix the problem.  In all
likelihood, the problem will be fixed by a simple chown command.  But
the reason that I ask for information is because it is useful in
getting the problem sorted out.

If you have some privacy concerns or something that is making you
reluctant to provide the information I asked for please say so.  Or
if you don't understand the questions, please say so.

Asking for help, getting requests for more information, ignoring
those requests, and than asking for more help on things that could
have most likely been solved if you'd provided the requested
information can get annoying.

I recently set up mailman on a system extremely similar to yours
(FreeBSD 6.*, postfix).  And I've been a long time user of mailman
(although with sendmail and exim).  I really am in a good position to
help, but I might have to leave it to people with more patience.

Please see my previous post

  http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/msg44296.html

where I ask for this information and ask a series of yes or no
questions.

> I have tried to rebuild mailman BUT the configuration option screen
> does not
> appear. I have tried
> # make with-mail-gid=mailman
> but still get the same results
> #./configure --with-mail-gid=mailman
> is not available

If you wish to override this when doing the build from BSD ports then
you would use

  make -DMAIL_GID=mailman reinstall

However, I STRONGLY advise against that.  It is best to keep things
as close to the default settings as possible.

I do think that these problems are better served by doing the
appropriate chown on the mailman/data directory instead of tinkering
with the build which would probably lead to harder to diagnose problems.

-j