[Mailman-Users] Mailman GID problem

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Fri Apr 20 20:32:13 CEST 2007

On Friday 20 April 2007 09:38:03 Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2007, at 10:42 AM, David Southwell wrote:
> > Extract from /var/maillog
> > Apr 20 08:24:58 dns1 Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.
> > Mailman
> > expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "nobody",
> > but the
> > system's mail server executed the mail script as group "mailman".  Try
> > tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "nobody", or re-
> > run
> > configure,  providing the command line option `--with-mail-
> > gid=mailman'.
>
> I've given a complementary response on the mailman-users list (to
> which I'm also cc'ing this)
>
> Nothing I say below takes away from what I said in that previous
> post.  The answers to the questions I've asked would have resolved
> this problem long ago.
>
> There appears to be a bug in the pkg-install file that comes with the
> current mailman port.  When one installs (through FreeBSD ports)
> mailman selecting postfix as the MTA, the MAIL_GID correctly gets set
> to "nobody"
>
> But in the pkg-install script all of the mailman files get set with
>
>      echo "---> Creating Mailman directory (/usr/local/mailman)"
>      (umask 002 && /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/mailman") || exit 1
>      /usr/sbin/chown -R "mailman:mailman" "/usr/local/mailman" || exit 1
>      /bin/chmod g+s "/usr/local/mailman" || exit 1
>
> Which is correct for everything except for /usr/local/mailman/data
> which should actually be set with
>
>     chown -R nobody:mailman /usr/local/mailman/data
>
> I don't know enough about ports to actually find the source pkg-
> install fine (the one I looked at and quoted from is after make has
> edited it with sed).  So I'm not certain whether the problem is in
> the Makefile or in the source for the pkg-install.
>
> I experienced the same problem David had just a few weeks ago, but I
> attributed the problem (which I fixed by manually doing the chown) to
> me having moved my mailman set up from one machine to another.  So I
> thought that I had the wrong permissions for /usr/local/mailman/data
> as a consequence of the move and not because the mailman FreeBSD port
> was broken.
>
> When I saw some of David's problems I started to have some
> suspicions, but I wasn't able to get enough information from him to
> really look at the ownerships the port set up.

The problem is I was not able to actually rebuild the ports doing a config. It
seems once mailman has been installed once you cannot       get the config
screne up and another make install leaves things exactly as they were for the
so I cannot tell you how the port created the ownership orininally. All I can
tell you is that I followed the instructions in docs.
Sorry to appear to be unhelpful -- but if there is anything I can do please
let me know.

Thanks agian for your warmth and help
\david