[Mailman-Users] Server migration problems

Aaron Crosman ACrosman at afsc.org
Thu Apr 26 20:22:19 CEST 2007

I know this comes up all the time, but having carefully reviewed the FAQ
and archives, I still haven't been able to solve my problem.

I'm working on migrating my mailman setup from an old SuSE server to a
new Debian (4.0) server.  For the most part everything has gone
smoothly, but the existing lists have a couple of problems I can't find
the cause.  I  moved the lists, archive, and data directories from the
old server, and ran update, check_perms and check_db on all the lists.

If I run list_lists, mailman sees all the lists just fine, but when just
the web interface I don't see anything.  I naturally assumed that had
somehow become private during the move, so I exported the configuration
of one of them, and saw "advertised = True" and while I know in python
it shouldn't matter, I went ahead and updated it to be "advertised = 1",
no difference.  If I browse to the list's admin interface directly it
seems to work.

I'm also having trouble getting into the archives.  The files are there,
and the sym-links are correct but the permissions seem to be wrong.  I'm
assuming I'm having a problem similar to the advertising (that mm seems
to be over-tightening permissions somewhat), but I can't find the root
cause.  Any suggestions on where to look?

Aaron