[Mailman-Users] Lists stop working

bjames at cisco.com bjames at cisco.com
Fri Apr 27 07:49:21 CEST 2007

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?

I realize that this is a really old posting:

	I send an eMail to one of the lists, I can see in my /var/log/maillog;

	     Jun 10 11:27:03 osiris sendmail[2756]: h5A9R392002756:
	     from=<Niklas.Nikitin at xxx
             <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> >,
             size=502, class=0, nrcpts=1,
	     msgid=<5.2.1.1.2.20030610112857.00b9b740 at xxx
             <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> >,
             proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
	     relay=cassini.xxx [193.10.220.37]

	     Jun 10 11:27:03 osiris sendmail[2757]: h5A9R392002756:
	     to="|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post nicke-test",
	     ctladdr=<nicke-test at xxx
             <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> > (8/0),
             delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
	     mailer=prog, pri=30704, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

	that the server is receiving the eMail and is forwarding it to
        Mailman. But in Mailman's logs I will not find any information
        that it has received the eMail and no eMail is sent to the members
        on the list. If I dump all members of the list to a file, remove
        the list, create the list again and add all members, the list is
        working again for a while, and then it repeats again.

but I've run into a very similar problem with two mailing lists that are
managed using the current release of Mailman.

The first symptom was that messages sent to the mailing lists were not
distributed to the list, and did not show up in the list archive.

After my ISP reinstalled Mailman, messages to the list started to show
up in the list archive again. But the messages were still not distributed
to members of the list.

We found that if we add a new user, then a message to the list *is*
delivered to that new user, but still not to any of the existing users.

If the *new* user posts a message, that message appears in the list
archive and the message is delivered to the entire mailing list.

There doesn't seem to be a way to dump and reload the mailing list that
preserves all per-list-member configuration options, so if possible,
we'd like to avoid that workaround.  Especially if it only works
temporarily.

Any insight / help / pointers appreciated.

Beau