[Mailman-Users] web interface bug after restore mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Aug 2 06:00:28 CEST 2007

Cen Gao wrote:

>Yes, all the wrappers in cgi-bin have -rwxr-sr-x mailman:mailman.
>Does this bug come out just because of the webserver cannot write error logs?

No. The original error is something else which may or may not have
anything to do with log files, but then scripts/driver attempts to log
the error and can't write the error log, and this is the traceback.

>It seems that everything in the logs/ directory has been written
>correctly. (smtp,post,etc.) Ever the error log, if I mistakenly type
>in bin/mailmanctl without any argument,this action was immediately
>written this in the error log

That's because all the log entries you mention are written by
mailmanctl or qrunners which presumably are executing as group
mailman. It is only the web server that can't write the log(s).

>> If this is OK, I seem to recall some Apple issue mentioned on this list
>> a couple of years ago. Search the archives.
>> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.018.htp>

Is this Max OS X Server with Apple's mailman or is it your own Mailman
installed from source? If the former, item 8) in
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-July/038388.html>
might be of interest.