[Mailman-Users] Too many Bounce action notifications

Vikram Goyal tech at craftbits.com
Wed Dec 5 07:35:11 CET 2007

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply..

>>I maintain a medium sized mailing list (over 40000) to which a
>>newsletter is sent out every few weeks. Till recently, I had no
>>issues with this list, but after the last newsletter was sent
>>out, I have started receiving "Bounce action notifications" by
>>the truckload.
>

> What are the list's bounce processing settings. It's possible
> that this is the
> first time you had enough posts close enough together to reach
> the threshhold
> for the truckload of undeliverable addresses on your list.

This is what I think has happened, but I can't be sure.

However, isn't this just too freaky that the threshold has been
reached for all these addresses with the same newsletter?

>>1. This is first time I am receiving these many bounce
>>notifications. In fact, these notifications have not stopped
>>coming since the newsletter was sent out.
>

> Your system may be backlogged causing delays. You'd have to
> look at Mailman's
> logs and queues to see what might be going on.

Ok, there is a backlog of about 65 messages, two days after the
original message was sent.

>>2. I have set my bounce notifications to NOT be sent out to the
>>list owner.
>

> Which one(s). These notices are controlled by
> bounce_notify_owner_on_disable.

Yes this one. This is from the page Bounce Processing. I wasn't
aware of any other flags?

>>3. The web accessible Mailman is extremely slow to respond to
>>any
>>requests.
>

> See 1. above. Also, if you have a processing backlog, there
> might be lock
> contention slowing the web interface.

Ok, that does make sense.

<snip>

>>I have restarted Mailman several times to no avail. I am
>>running
>>Mailman 2.1.9.
>

> Restarting Mailman won't change this. If Mailman isn't running
> and a bounce
> arrives, it is still queued and processed when Mailman starts
> again. If you
> have any kind of backlog, stopping Mailman just makes things
> worse by delaying
> processing further.

Ok. Makes sense. So what would be the ideal way to stop these
emails?
Is there a way to stop all these emails or I just need to grin
and bear it?

More importantly, this doesn't indicate any issues with my
Mailman configuration, right?

Thanks,
Vikram
tech at craftbits.com