[Mailman-Users] OS X Permissions Help.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jan 4 19:00:53 CET 2007

Chris Florio wrote:

>As the instructions said, I configured using:
>
>sudo ./configure --prefix=/Applications/mailman --with-cgi-gid=www --
>with-mail-gid=mailman
>

>Using the instructions from the list I found, I am getting this error
>posting to a list I created:
>
>..
>
>The Postfix program
>
><alumni at citadel97.com>: Command died with status 2:
>     "/Applications/mailman/mail/mailman post alumni". Command
>output: Group
>     mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>executed as
>     group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
>script as
>     group "www".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as
>group
>     "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>     `--with-mail-gid=www'.
>

>..
>
>So, I tried again using:
>
>sudo ./configure --prefix=/Applications/mailman --with-cgi-gid=www --
>with-mail-gid=www
>
>And then I get this error:
>
>	The Postfix program
>
><alumni at citadel97.com>: Command died with status 2:
>     "/Applications/mailman/mail/mailman post alumni". Command
>output: Group
>     mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>executed as
>     group "www", but the system's mail server executed the mail
>script as group
>     "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as
>group "www",
>     or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>     `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.

I suspect you made another change, either directly or indirectly in the
group ownership of the aliases file from which Postfix gets its
Mailman aliases.

Postfix will run the pipe to the Mailman mail wrapper as the user/group
that owns the aliases* files from which the pipe alias came.

If Mailman's Postfix integration (MTA = 'Postfix') is in use, the
aliases will be in Mailman's data/aliases and data/aliases.db and
these file will be group owned by 'mailman'. Thus, the first
configuration is correct as long as the aliases* files are owned by
the 'mailman' group which they need to be for the Postfix integration
to work.

Also see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>.