[Mailman-Users] Changing Unsubscribe to NoMail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jan 22 19:03:51 CET 2007

Gerald Drouillard wrote:

>I have a list in which I would like the unsubscribe to set the nomail
>flag on instead of removing them from the list.  The reason being that
>the list administrators tend to upload new email addresses periodically
>and we would not like to add someone that has already unsubscribed.
>
>Is there a magic switch that will turn unsubscribe behavior into nomail
>behavior?

No. There is no such switch, and implementing one would be tricky.

Here are some random thoughts.

You could set unsubscribe_policy to Yes, so unsubscribe requires
approval, and then manually do what you want. You might be able to
automate this or 'semi-automate' it.

When you set nomail for the user, you probably also want to set
password reminders off.

This could cause confusion for a user who changes her/his mind and
tries to subscribe and the subscribe fails because (s)he is already a
member.

>The mailman command line does not support the nomail option?

See the set_nomail.py withlist script at
<http://veenet.value.net/~msapiro/scripts/> or
<http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/>.