[Mailman-Users] Duplicate Subscribe/Unsubscribe Notifications

Ki Song ki at knifecenter.com
Fri Jan 26 22:37:19 CET 2007

>>> I am certain it is the EXACT same message.
>>> How do I know this?
>>> The message ID's for the duplicate emails are exactly the same:

>> OK. It is the same message. Did you check the filter rules in your
>> email client as Dragon suggests to be sure that they are not
>> responsible for duplicating the message?
>>
> I checked the filter rules. I could not find anything that could possibly
> duplicate messages. There is only one reference to the messages that are
> being duplicated (the filter/rule looks for where the message is being SENT
> to)
>
>> Also, What is the contents of the list's owner and moderator
>> attributes. Are you or something that forwards to you listed twice?
>>
> Where could I find these attributes? Is it on the web admin interface, or is
> it somewhere else?
>
>> Also, check for that Message-ID in Mailman's 'smtp' log and see how
>> many recipients it was sent to.
>
> The message-ID from mailman's smtp log shows something interesting. Every
> message that is duplicated, shows the same message-ID, but it says that it
> is being sent to 2 recipients. Is that normal? I ask because as far as I
> know, these subscribe messages are being sent to me, the administrator, and
> the actual email that is being subscribed/unsubscribed. Is that normal, or
> would it be two different message-ID's, if only 1 message was being sent to
> me and 1 message was being sent to the email address that is being
> subscribed/unsubscribed?

One thing I do notice is that the administrator and moderator addresses
listed in the GENERAL OPTIONS web admin page of each list is the same
address (newsletter at knifecenter.com).
Further below, on that same page, there is an option that says, "Should the
administrator get notices of subscribes and unsubscribes?" I have that
checked to YES.

Could it be that because the administrator and moderator addresses are the
same (newsletter at knifecenter.com) and because the administrator is getting
notices of subscribes and unsubscribes, that the message is being sent
twice? I'm assuming the moderator gets notices of subscribes/unsubscribes
automatically.

Let me check. (It may take a while ... because there are a couple
hundred/thousand subscribe/unsubscribe messages in queue.