[Mailman-Users] question about mail-gid

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:17:24 CEST 2007

Yep, it's Postfix.  Yep, there are two different files.

/etc/postfix/aliases is owned by root.root
/etc/postfix/aliases.db is owned by root.root

/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases is owned by root.mailman
/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases is owned by mailman.mailman

When I first configured Mailman, I tried to use mail-gid=postfix (or
the GID number) and it didn't work.

> >When I create a new list from the web and try to post to it, I get this message:
> >
> >Failed (Command died with status 2:
> >"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test7". Command output: Group
> >mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
> >executed as    group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed
> >the mail script as    group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to
> >run the script as group    "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing
> >the command line option    `--with-mail-gid)
> >
> >I look at the ownership of new lists and they are apache mailman. That
> >is the only difference I see between new lists and other lists that
> >were migrated, which have permissons mailman.mailman. So, I changed
> >the ownership of the new lists and tried to post and get the same
> >message.
>

> This is not related to the ownership of the lists.
>
> It is also not related to anything in the Apache config.
>

> >I am a bit confused as to whether I need to run configure again, using
> >'nobody' as the mail-gid or something else is going on.
>

> Maybe, but if that's all you do, the new lists will work and the old
> lists won't.
>
> Is this Postfix? Are the aliases in two different files?
>
> Postfix executes the mail wrapper with the user:group of the owner of
> the alias files in which the alias is found.
>
> If aliases are split in two files with different ownership, one set
> won't work.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Christopher Adams