[Mailman-Users] Failures showing in the log file?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jul 16 04:57:58 CEST 2007

Dennis Carr wrote:

>OK, something I notice in my posts log is a message not entirely unlike
>the following:
>
>Jul 15 09:27:31 2007 (32571) post to list from user at wherever.com,
>size=5706, message-id=<redacted>, 557 failures
>
>Now, as time progresses, that "failures" number counts down, and
>ultimately, there is a "success" asociated with that number.  sWhat,
>precisely, does this message mean?

Look in the smtp-failure log for a more informative message including a
reason.

What is happening is the outgoing SMTP server (MTA) is accepting only a
fraction of the recipients. The rest are queued for retry. Some more
recipients are accepted on the retry, and the rest are queued, and so
on.

It may or may not help to set SMTP_MAX_RCPTS to a number smaller that
the number that gets accepted each time (in mm_cfg.py), but first get
the reason from the smtp-failure log. The best solution depends on the
reason. It may be that something in the outgoing MTA needs to be
changed.