[Mailman-Users] Moderation issues

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Mar 1 02:16:55 CET 2007

Bill Lempesis wrote:

>To summarize: There is no way to block non-members who you don't know from
>posting to a list that is Open. Can't have a list that allows only members
>to post. This was a feature in older versions of Mailman.

If by 'older' you mean older than 2.1.3, then you are correct.

If members are not moderated and generic_nonmember_action is Reject or
Discard, then posts via email from members should go directly to the
list and posts via email from non-members not in *_these_nonmembers
should be rejected or discarded.

OTOH, posts arriving via the news->mail gateway are held or not based
on the setting of news_moderation regardless of who they are from,
although this is not the intended use of the news_moderation setting.

Prior to Mailman 2.1.3, posts arriving from usenet via the news-mail
gateway were subject to the same membership filtering as posts
arriving by email. If you want to restore that behavior, you need to
make the change to Mailman/Handlers/Moderate.py that I indicated in my
reply at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-March/055896.html>.