[Mailman-Users] Newsgroup interface picking up spam

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 2 17:07:35 CET 2007

David Beaumont wrote:

>On our members only list how can we prevent the newsgroup interface picking
>up posts (spam) from non members?  We have mailman 2.1.8.  I see here
>there is an option
>"Should newsgroup posts not sent from the list be resent to the list?
>Specifies whether or not messages posted by people out there in the world
>who are not members of the list should be gated and distributed to list
>members. "
>Which would seem to be the answer but we don't have that, is it new in

You do have it. It is just described differently in Mailman 2.1 than it
was in the Mailman 2.0 document you quote above. The option it is
describing is gateway_to_mail. The "not members of the list" language
assumes that list members will post to the list rather than the

If you want to gate a list-member's newsgroup post back to the list,
but treat non-member posts to the newsgroup the same as non-member
posts to the list, You need to modify your
Mailman/Handlers/Moderate.py module and change

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
    if msgdata.get('approved') or msgdata.get('fromusenet'):