[Mailman-Users] Newsgroup interface picking up spam

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 2 17:07:35 CET 2007

David Beaumont wrote:

>On our members only list how can we prevent the newsgroup interface picking
>up posts (spam) from non members?  We have mailman 2.1.8.  I see here
>
>http://staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar/mailman/mailman-administration-v2.html
>
>there is an option
>
>"Should newsgroup posts not sent from the list be resent to the list?
>Specifies whether or not messages posted by people out there in the world
>who are not members of the list should be gated and distributed to list
>members. "
>
>Which would seem to be the answer but we don't have that, is it new in
>2.1.9?

You do have it. It is just described differently in Mailman 2.1 than it
was in the Mailman 2.0 document you quote above. The option it is
describing is gateway_to_mail. The "not members of the list" language
assumes that list members will post to the list rather than the
newsgroup.

If you want to gate a list-member's newsgroup post back to the list,
but treat non-member posts to the newsgroup the same as non-member
posts to the list, You need to modify your
Mailman/Handlers/Moderate.py module and change

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
    if msgdata.get('approved') or msgdata.get('fromusenet'):
        return