[Mailman-Users] Nomail members

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 9 17:35:12 CET 2007

Paul Tomblin wrote:

>I'm starting to think that my average mailing list user won't remember the
>URL they used to subscribe, they don't file away that email they get when
>they subscribe with all the instructions, that they don't read the footer
>on every message, and they don't read the monthly message.

Sadly, I think this is true, and it argues that for this group of users
at least, the reminders are useless anyway.

But, for those for whom they are useful, here's a possibility. This is
not a promise, but rather a suggestion. I first saw it it a comment by
Glen Seib on the wiki <http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+2.2>.

The suggestion (with interpretation by me) is that the list owner could
provide a text template with substitutable parameters such as list
name, user email, user options url, etc. as a list attribute. This
could be used to remind users of list procedures and policies, how to
get a password reset, whatever you want. It would be sent periodically
to all list members. It would not be a list post, so it wouldn't be
archived, and it would be personalized even if the list normally
wasn't.

To bring this thread back around to its beginning, there could also be
a mechanism to treat a bounce of this message differently from a
bounce of a post or digest.