[Mailman-Users] Removing illegal character user names

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Mar 11 20:41:29 CET 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>However, I can add "User"user at example.com> or "User"user at example.com,
>and the address "User"user at example.com gets added with no real name.
>This too is what I would expect (I don't know if we should disallow "
>in an email address).

Quoted local parts are allowed in email addresses, so the above are
probably not valid, but "Useruser"@example.com or
"User\"user"@example.com are valid.

>The problem, the underlying cause of which I haven't yet identified (it
>probably messes up the post data from the web page), is it appears
>that you can't remove a user with who has a " in the email address by
>checking the unsub box on the membership list. However, you can remove
>this member by entering the address in Mass Removal.

It's as I suspected. The various input tags on the Membership list look
like

<INPUT name="user at example.com_unsub" type="CHECKBOX" value="off" >

where user at example.com is the email address. Clearly, if the address
contains double quotes, the field name gets truncated or garbled, so
it isn't possible to change anything for this member from the
Membership list page..