[Mailman-Users] Removing illegal character user names

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Mar 11 18:43:19 CET 2007

Mike Maughan wrote:

>It is also possible I've discovered a bug, in which case the circumstances
>were a mass subscribe exercise where (in this case) I forgot to add a space
>between the username and the email address, so the input line looked like
>this "User"<username at domain.com> and the list added them as this "User"
>username at domain.com.

I can't quite duplicate this. If I try to add "User"<user at example.com>,
I add user at example.com with real name User as expected even though
there is no separating space.

However, I can add "User"user at example.com> or "User"user at example.com,
and the address "User"user at example.com gets added with no real name.
This too is what I would expect (I don't know if we should disallow "
in an email address).

The problem, the underlying cause of which I haven't yet identified (it
probably messes up the post data from the web page), is it appears
that you can't remove a user with who has a " in the email address by
checking the unsub box on the membership list. However, you can remove
this member by entering the address in Mass Removal.