[Mailman-Users] mailman with fetchmail, ISP smtp, blocked port 80

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Mar 17 02:24:49 CET 2007

Nick Urbanik wrote:
>I have just moved to a new ISP which blocks ports 80, 25 incoming.
>I have hosted (and hope to continue to host) two mailing lists, which
>worked fine till the change.
>I also have access to a web server pointed to by dns A record
>nicku.org on which I cannot install mailman, but on which I can
>install redirects, use mod_rewrite, and configure apache on.  Postfix
>listens on port 25 on www3.nicku.org and can send mail via ISP mail
>server.  An MX record for nicku.org points to mail.nicku.org, which in
>turn points as an A record to an email hosting service.
>www3.nicku.org is the new address of this machine hosting mailman.

My head hurts already.

>I would like to ask:
>1. Any suggestions on a good way to configure mailman in this
>   situation?  My current method (dns points to this machine,
>   www3.nicku.org, apache listening on port 8080, redirect from remote
>   nicku.org to www3.nicku.org:8080) seems not right yet; attempts to
>   click on the "Submit All Data" button on the admindb page just
>   return the same page, without any apparent action having taken place.

Redirect is probably throwing away the POST data. See

>2. I am running fetchmail as root, with a .fetchmailrc as shown below.
>   Does that look correct?  Any suggestions?

I don't know fetchmail.

>3. the /var/log/mailman/smtp-failure log shows multiple (failed)
>   attempts to send mail to fetchmail-daemon at www3.nicku.org; how do I
>   persuade mailman to send to the correct address?

if it's not 25) in mm_cfg.py

>4. Are there any special settings I need for mailman to match this
>   arrangement better?  Currently the changes to my mm_cfg.py are:
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'www3.nicku.org:8080'
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'nicku.org'

This is not what you want. You want

DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'www3.nicku.org'

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s:8080/mailman/'

Then you want to run fix_url to update the list attributes. See

This will get the POST URL's on web forms going directly to the proper
server and you won't lose data in the redirects. It will also put
'www3.nicku.org:8080' in visible URLs. If this is a problem because

>Note that people access the web pages via
>http://nicku.org/mailman/listinfo/camwest-discuss and

I don't know a solution, but I'm guessing it's OK because
'www3.nicku.org:8080' already appears in the browser's address bar
after redirect.